Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Special Reinforced CMU wall without a 180-degree hook for horizontal rebar at the end of the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstruct99

Structural
Jul 7, 2022
US
The contractor failed to provide a 180-degree hook for the horizontal rebar at the end of the CMU wall designed to be a specially reinforced shear wall. They have asked us (EOR)if there is a way around this. Is there one?
The TMS 402-16 code explicitly states these hooks are required at the end of the wall. Has anyone faced this issue before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't found a way around it to date, but haven't spent a lot of time looking as I have only needed special maybe 2 times in my career thus far. If you can't get a different lateral system that doesn't require it to work (this means redesign) then maybe the solution is for them to redo their work in the wall.

A post installed mechanical coupler may provide for development of the reinforcement while minimizing the amount of retrofit required. I would confirm that it is allowed per TMS for a special reinforced wall - don't have it handy.

Thank you Aesur and EZBuilding for your input.
I am more concerned about the confinement of the vertical rebar at the end of the wall. If there is no 180-degree hook, what provides confinement for the last vertical rebar under flexural compression?

If I try to justify by saying that this wall is no longer a special reinforced, but an ordinary or intermediate shear wall (without a 180-degree hook), is the assumption that the end of the wall is now allowed to go into inelastic deformation with some damage expected at the end of the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back