Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Specified strength for Okoume (Gabon) Wood ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeko83

Civil/Environmental
Apr 30, 2010
SA
Hello,
Please I need help. I would like to design a stadium by wood and i need to know the specified strength. The available type of wood is ( Okoume from Gabon) scientific name Aucoumea klaineana.I don't have any more structural data about it.
I am using the Canadian wood design handbook and there is no such type of wood.
THX IN ADVANCE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normal Canadian practice for using unknown or unidentified woods which are meant for construction is to use the values for Northern No. 2.

I would not advocate doing that in your case. You either need to do some testing, or find a source that has the information.

I've designed three stadia in my career; You need to be very aware of how dangerous an animal they are. Lots of cantilevered and odd-ball load paths, clients wanting to remove main columns to open up large interior spaces. They can be a mess, and are frequent sources for collapse or SLS failures, particularly any temporary or light construction stands like wood!

Zeeko83:
Get your hands on the “Wood Handbook, Wood as an Engineering Material,” U.S. Forest Products Laboratory, USDA. You can use this to compare Okoume’s mechanical properties with those of other woods which we are familiar with for construction. It has a wealth of other good info. on the use and characteristics of wood. Maybe get a good textbook on wood design. Also, get a copy of NDS or another good, well respected, design standard for general guidance in wood design. It is still up to you to grade the wood you are using and determine how to adjust the mechanical properties, etc. if you do not have some certified agency doing this before the wood is marketed. CEL’s advice about the complexity and difficulty of this design problem should be taken to heart. Maybe look at the IBC or some like bldg. code for what they have to say about stadium design requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back