Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specifying wobbling (shaky motion) to a moving and rotating part

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechdrive1

Mechanical
May 26, 2016
US
Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate the drilling of an aluminum layer by a screw bit. The tool (screw bit) used is of tool steel alloy and is defined as a rigid body. The aluminum layer is defined as the Eulerian workpiece (in order to eliminate element distortion issues). The tool is provided with a rotational and a translational movement against the fixed aluminum layer. My problem objective is: To specify a wobbling or a shaky motion to the rotating and moving tool against the stationary workpiece. The motive behind providing a wobbling/shaky motion is to simulate the movement of the tool inside the tool holder to check the influence of this wobbling motion on drilling.

Currently, I am specifying the rotational and translational feed using the velocity boundary condition in ABAQUS/explicit. The rotation and linear feed for the tool is along the Z-direction.

I would really appreciate it if you could provide any suggestions or ideas as to how the wobbling motion can be achieved in Abaqus.

Regards,
Ankit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use acceleration boundary condition with specified amplitude for this purpose. Check the documentation example "Seismic analysis of a concrete gravity dam" in Abaqus Example Problems Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back