Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specs for stainless steel screws with nylon locking elements 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
Does anyone out there have military or aerospace specs for stainless steel screws with nylon locking elements (plugs, patches, pellets, etc.)? These would be specs providing part numbers to buy them to.

TIA :)

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These are usually called PEM[sup][®][/sup] nuts, etc. from the original name of the manufacturer, Penn Engineering & Manufacturing Corp. Their website mentions complete testing to NASM 25027, 45938, ASTM & PEM Fastener tests. Lots of product literature, CAD drawings, a technical library, etc. at

kenvlach-
You're preaching to the choir about clinch nuts. I asked about screws, not nuts. Also, it would be news to me if clinch nuts came with nylon locking elements! Could you provide a PEM part number, for instance?

Tunalover

Screws are included in “etc.”

No, I apologize – I saw StickScrew[sup]®[/sup] on their homepage and didn't investigate.

Can you use self-locking hex. socket screws, 18-8 SS with nylon patch
(-70° to +250° F), per ANSI/ASME B18.8?
Thread sizes 4-40 to ½-13, catalog page 2924

tunalover,
Just talking with my nut buddy and his comment was if you don't need a Mil-Spec fastener just ask for a Nyloc/Nylock/Nylok from an American manufacturer. This will insure a quality screw and save considerable coins. He has been seeing some poor quality imports in the Nyloc/Nylock/Nylok type screws.

Here is one he has been getting calls for. Look at the product specifications for all the standards

Thanks guys but my customers are pretty particular about the quality control that (supposedly) comes with MS, AN, or NAS hardware. I know that I can always go to a commercial mfgr. Also, AMSE B18.3 does not put forward a universally-recogized part numbering system.

Tunalover

Thanks MintJulep, but we are looking to buy these using an industry-standard part numbering system. We always have the option of creating a vendor item drawing. Note that IFI-524 is another spec for locking elements.

Tunalover

Tunalover

It gives the means that the company uses to number their screws.
I don’t believe there are any AN, MS or NAS screws with the inserts installed. This company takes screws and adds the inserts. I think it would be cheaper to use locking nuts or anchor nuts than those inserts.

Tuna,

The Long Lok handbook has a bunch of good information on prevailing torque fasteners. It is well worth the free download.

I also, I think, points you to the answer to your question, which is:

NAS 1283, and MS 15981

MintJulep
Thanks for the links. MS15981 tells how to apply the locking element but it doesn't appear to put forth mil-standard part numbers. NAS1283 I could not find using the DLA's website for free specs (ASSIST Quicksearch).

Tunalover

Try NAS 1351 or 1352. These are fine and coarse thread socket head cap screws. You can specify with or without a locking element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back