Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spectrum Tube Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagadeeshr

Feb 7, 2017
IN
Hi,
I'm in need of a spectrum/ discharge tube for calibrating argon plasma. Argon (and other noble gas) spectrum tubes are available and also very affordable. However, the cost of the spectrum tube power supply is out of budget. So, I was thinking of building it on my own. These power supplies operate at 120 V & 60 Hz to provide an output of 1000 V at 10 mA (10 W).

Can anybody suggest how I can design this supply or guide to any articles related to this?

Thank you
Jagadeesh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many manufacturers of inexpensive ignition transformers in the 5 kV range. Output is in milliamperes at nominal voltage. You can control the input voltage with a variable autotransformer to get down to the level you need, and standard diodes used in microwave ovens will provide rectification if you want DC. The whole thing can be assembled on a lab bench quite easily. One must be aware of the safety issues involved.

old field guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back