Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speech - tests of relative intelligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

Marine/Ocean
Apr 1, 2000
GB
I am looking for information on measurement systems to be able to quantify / test speech intelligiblity in various architectural acoustic spaces for use in planning public address (P.A.) systems.<br>I would something better than forms of subjective testing process using sets of people with normal hearing acuity and simpler than time division spectrometry or multi-channel FFT spectrum analysis. In other words,fast in-field testing of a P.A. system. Am I looking at using equipment which would measure parameters such as the IEC rapid speech transmission index (RASTI) or are there other rapid ways to field test speech intelligibility ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find what you need to test speech intelligiblity and other things using SIA's Smaart Acoustic Tools Software with the Intelligibility module.

You can test drive SmaartLive and Smaart Acoustic Tools with a 30 day demo available at or you can request a free CD containing a time restricted, working copy that you can unluck if you decide to purchase the software after trying it out.

While at the SIAsoft site checkout the forum or contact
Jaime Anderson at:

508-234-6158 Ext: 240 or at jamie@siasoft.com

Jaime is a very acoutics savy young man.

I own and use all of the SIA Smaart programs. They are great.

Trust this helps,

Ed Burquez
eburquez@bellsouth.net

We're using a TEF20 analyzer. If you can afford to buy this equipment, it will help you a lot in your audio testing and measurements.

Truly it can measure intelligibility, STI and RASTI; as well as room acoustics can be evaluated using this equipment. etp6716

Goldline now do a hand-held speech intelligibility meter. I have had the meter demo'd and it is very simple to use. However, it currently does not give full analytical information. The meter uses the STI-PA method, developed by TNO.

Please note that the latest IEC standard refers to the CIS (common intelligibility scale) rather than RASTI. Check out IEC 60849:1998 and IEC 60268-16:1998.

You could also use various other types of speech intelligibility meter. There are several laptop based systems (such as MLSSA), although these are not particularly easy to use because they both generate and analyse the signal at the same time, thus requiring complex lead / radio channel assembleys. You may be able to hire a Bruel & Kjaer RASTI kit if you are very lucky. This is the equipment I have used for many different applications, from offshore and ships, to airports and conference centres. However, you need to know what you are doing so that you don't misinterpret the results.

Good luck

Simon Stephenson

simon.stephenson@uk.bureauveritas.com

I am still using the MLSSA system. I find it extremely easy to use and can, with the appropriate setup file, make remote measurements quickly. The test signal can be recorded onto a digital medium (CD, DAT) and played through the PA system. In the field this signal is recorded onto DAT ready for later analysis. The MLSSA analysis provides a plethora of useful information such as frequency response, STI, reverberation time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back