SPEED AND FEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossar99

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2005
CA
Hello,
I am beginning is this huge world of engineering and I am looking for values of speed and feeding depending on material, tool, milling or lathe, ....

I found a few things of internet but the values for a same "aspect" are quite different

So, if someone has a reliable site, tables, programs or anything else ... it will be VERY appreciate.

THANKS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are so many factors for determining feeds and speeds. What material your machining, what tool you are using, what machine your using,etc....

High speed steel has its own values, carbide has its own values as well..All the different carbide insert manufacturers have their own data for their tools..Even all of their data that they give with their tooling is still very broad..They typically give you a range of speeds and feeds and then its up to the machinist to "fine tune" the operation.

Experience is everything when it comes to feeds and speeds..How much horsepower you machine is, How much overhang your tool is sticking out, how hard the material is that you cutting..cutting fluid or no cutting fluid, what surface finish is required..There are so many variables, that even any chart or website of cutting data that you find will still only be rough starting points..A lot of playing around will help find the most efficient speeds and feeds.

Having a library of books on machining will be very usefull..

Brent

Speeds and feeds are a good guide, but when it comes down to do the actual machining it pays WELL to experiment a little.

The rigidity of the machine and tools is a most important factor. There are few brand new machines around. Operators don't grind the most perfect cutting angles. Tool overhang coud be too large. The type of chips comming off when machining can cause delay (long chips are dangerous). Hardly anything ever happens under ideal conditions in a machineshop.

An experienced operator working on a specific machine tool doing a specific job having the proper equipment and not being interfeered with by supervisors and this not being the first day of the week (Monday), is often the answer to what is best.

Want more variables?

One great, "free" resource is your tooling salesperson. These people usually have a good deal of application knowledge and, being in a highly competitive market, tend to work hard to help their customers with setup issues with their tools.

Fastasleep, you really can't trust the tooling salesman. They promise the Earth, etc.

If Hossar is looking for absolutes, as to feeds and speeds, he HAS to only be using inserts, not high speed steel.

When I was machining, my grinds of high speed steel, though not the typical, would remove much material, with most of the heat removed with the chips, the workpiece nearly ambient, and the chips in elbow macaroni sized pieces.

As to stringers, tell me about it. With a stainless piece, a long som'bitch came out and severed a tendon on my left hand in a recessed cut, squatting down to cut the feed at the right time.

You know how to grind a tool, you got it dicked. You are trying to do, as Hossar must be, a feed and speed on a "machining center", you are using inserts, the operator is just a piece feeder.
To get tolerances, you must use the same inserts the machine was designed to use.

You guys ARE aware that there is no such thing in the US as a "machinist", aren't you?

Stock feeders is what they have been reduced to. Put a billet in, a finished piece falls out.

Bitter old man that I seem to be, there are still some genuine machinists.

But they don't work for companies like Hossar must.

Ah, wel,

Cheers,

George

You can use the guide as just that a guide

Best to start conservative and then bump it up.
If it's on cncs crank up the feed overide.

I like that monday morning variable :)

Go to order the free softwear called TEC .It is a good tool. TEC will walk you thru your application.
Enter your tool size ,how deep,internal or external coolant,material and hardness ECT .It will recomend the most recomended to the least.It will give you speeds and feeds ,HP,IPM,IPR,LBS,Time in cut,and the number of holes.If you click on ECO button it will tell you your cost per hole.This softwear also can be used for tapping,milling and thread milling. I hope it helps.

I agree with the general postings, i myself have discovered that as i gain experience and talk to tool reps and ask others i work with that i am beginning to build up a bit of knowledge of how i should approach my speeds and feeds when machining different materials. most of the recommended cutting speeds and feeds are only approximate, they are updating all the time with advancements in tooling technology. There are many factors determining how fast or slow you should cut and its quite impossible to give much more than a guide. If i were u id start asking around, tool reps although generally sales orientated, have all the best information on cutters/tips u are using, and have probably moved from company to company picking up alot of knowledge on a wide range of jobs.

try reading in any book on theory of metal cutting.....read the optimization chapter u will find some equations that u can calculate all what u want from them......very easy.good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back