Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SPEED BUMPS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

Civil/Environmental
Sep 12, 2000
US
Does anyone have any guidance in designing speed bumps or know what the allowable height of a speed bump is?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jimbo gave you good advice regarding using speed humps rather than bumps. There have been several lawsuits involving speed bumps that have had severe consequences for those that installed them. The City of Ft. Worth has recently started installing speed humps in some residential neighborhoods. You could contact the Engineering Department. 1000 Throckmorton St., Ft. Worth 76102.

Please review traffic calming theory and practices in the publication: "Traffic Calming, State of the Practice", by Reid H. Ewing, published by the Institute for Transportation Engineers, 1999. This is an excellent resource for understanding what traffic calming is and is not, different techniques for traffic calming, engineering and aesthetic issues, traffic calming impacts, advantages and disadvantages, emergency response and other concerns, and other issues. There are other methods to use besides "speed bumps", and you need a broader understnading before you select your method. Good luck,
Mikolay

I know this seems to be a US site but over in the UK we have a few guides available for speed cushions, thermoplastic humps, rumble strips, etc. For what it's worth it may be useful to check out our Department of Transport and Traffic Advisory Leaflets which give appropriate height and (just as important) the gradients of the on and off slopes.

If this is applicable please let me know.

Regards

A speed bump is about 3- 4 inches (75- 100 mm) high, and about 1 ft / 300 mm across. Drivers will either slow to 5 mph (10 km/h), then accelerate again, with attendent noise, air pollution, etc., or take them at speed, since that way the inertia of the car will cause the suspension to absorb the impact. They also tend to do bad things like break firetrucks, jostle patients in ambulances, and cause pain to back injury sufferers.

Speed humps are 12 to 22 feet long (4 to 7 m)This means both tires are on the hump at the same time. They are designed for speeds in the 15-20 mph (25 - 30 km/h) range.

Since they are more gently sloped than bumps, they put less stress on vehicles and their occupants, and snowplows are more likely to ride over them.

Guys
There are many other aspects that must be taken into consideration. For instance, many towns have had ordinances passed at the instigation of the Fire Department, prohibiting any construction of any bumps or humps in roadway. All emergency depts usually fight the issue as it results in approximately 7-8 seconds delay per "Hump".
Some of the pre fabbed humps have the initial ramp section fastened down by spikes. When the rubber or other material gets ripped by snowplows, you are left with a protruding spike. Probably best to use all asphalt, not prefabbed. (also provide for drainage to get passed the bump/hump.
Resolute speeders have found you can reduce the impact of Bumps (not humps) by increasing speed across the obstacle.
In addition, there is a growing ground swell by handicapped persons alleging pain and suffering when experiencing car spring compression during passage over bumps and humps.
There is an extensive body of such data on the internet, just search on speed bump or hump.
I have heard of making the obstacle narrow enough so that a fire truck can straddle the hump without hitting it, while still affecting cars. As most ambulances have car dimensions, I dont see this as an option.
Many places are removing them after such opposition. I would suggest using other methods of slowing traffic, and stay away from "Emergency" routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back