Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spelter socket???

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsearobot

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
I am designing a cable termination for a lift point. I have been refered to look into spelter socket design for reference. All I can find is that it appears to be a taper.

Can someone please explain technically what defines this cable termination. any reference to a technical publication that I can consult would be most helpful!

To be specific, we are terminating a high power subsea umbilical to a lifting "bullet" with wirelock or its equivalent. we want a taper to prevent the term from pulling out. What taper angle would be ideal?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A spelter socket is intended to both splay and taper the strands of a cable, and to backfill over the splayed cable strands with molten solder or zinc.

If your are designing a spelter socket you need to have a copy of Federal Specification RR-S-550D as there are some material and fabrication boundaries.

Federal Specification RR-S-550D, Type A for Open Spelters,

Federal Specification RR-S-550D, Type B for Closed Spelters

Federal Specification RR-S-550D, Type C for Wedge Sockets

Click on 'Wire Rope End Fittings' [the orange square]. You can peruse the catalogue, it gives you details of all the standards Crosby design their spelters for.

Can you use an off the shelf size?

Hi SubSea. I work for a pedestrian cable bridge co. and use spelter sockets extensively. Houston structures (Ulven corp) is our main supplier for bridge bowls and sockets. Check out our page at The Baker River bridge has some good photos of the brooming/socketing process. We use 50 year old procedures from Tiger brand wire rope that have proved most satisfactory in service.

To see the socketing process, as well as construction sequences, mentioned above click on any picture on Baker Bridge page in the left hand column.

cybo11,
Are you the one who took my folder of Tiger Brand Wire Rope information? It disappeared about 30 years ago.
My last Tiger booklet is tied up in court and I may not live long enough to get it back. It is being used in a a three figure million dollar lawsuit that is in the appeal process.

Ha ha, UncleCyd! T'wasn't me that stole your info- I promise~!
We base alot of our procedures on the 'old ways'. Our design reference for suspension bridges is Steinmans' treatise on the subject circa 1906. Apparently he worked for some guy named Roebling.

Spelter sockets are the only wire rope/strand connection that give you 100% of the strength of the rope itself. Swaged connections are good for approx. 60-75%.

Proper prep (degrease, hydrochloric strip) of the strand is crucial as well as zinc bath temp. We use 980F. I was skeptical of the process for a time, not anymore. We had a failure on one occasion where the wire 'siezing' slipped behind the socket before the pour, allowing the strand to balloon out a little . Not good, as it will transfer stress unequally throughout the section.
I did a little destructive test on that one that can be seen at

Also, if I remember correctly older Roebling wire rope manuals will go into detail on how to prepare spelter socket assembliesy with molten zinc as mentioed above.
If a copy of that section is needed let me know with about 3 weeks lead time as I am out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back