Spherical Bushing Inspection Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjohnso0

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2001
US
Greetings folks!

I'm looking for some assistance in inspection of a spherical bushing inner diameter. Attached is a sketch of the part, and the relevant dimensions. I need only to check the inner spherical diameter on this part, in very limited quantities.

I've looked at several gages, none of which seem to be the right choice:

Split Ball Mic - Don't seem to come large enough
Dial Bore - Doesn't fit correctly
Telescoping ID Mic - Not accurate enough.

So if anyone has any experience with inspection of this sort of feature, any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you want to measure it or inspect it?

A telescopic bore gauge would allow you to measure with a mic but probably not the best for a 0.0006” limit, a CMM would work fine but obviously not cheap.

If you just want to inspect could you not get a go-nogo gauge made on upper and lower limits but only say .500 wide so it could be fed through the “hole”.

rustbuster,

That gage doesn't look to be accurate enough, as I'd have to measure the distance across the points after removal.

ajack1,
I'm inspecting the bore (well, I think I am anyways) for serviceability to check for wear, etc...

We do have a few CMM's, the only problem being that the bushing is installed in another part, resulting in a pretty complex geometry, i'll check with the CMM programmer though. Also the go-no go sounds like a good thing to look into.

I've got a few paths to look down now, thanks!

That is more or less what I linked to Unclesyd.

However it remains debatable of something that measures to .0005” or .00039” in my case would be accurate enough to measure a limit of .0006”.

ajack3, Yes they are very similar and probably like the one's posted by rustbuster.

I know that Dyer makes comparator gages which have a narrower range with 0.0005" graduations and therefore can be interpreted to 0.00025" .
It gets real tricky when you start to measure plus/minus 0.0005 on a worn or non uniform surface.

To get more precision than afforded by gages from Dyer and others you will have to go to companies like Hanlo.

cjohson0,

How much wear can you have and not be problem?
If say it's 0.0001" you could have a special gage made that act as a go/no-go gage.

Where have you seen the wear on the part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back