spherical tank column calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSP79

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2016
IQ
hello ..
how can get code to recalculate the culomn calculation for sherical tank becouse i found 2.1 mm thickness reduction arround whole area with height of 800mm , so can not going to any repaing or replacing , i thought of doing recalculation to finding if that 2.1mm corroded column can endourance the tank weight with full service fluid or not
thanks for instruction

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of a quick answer. Megyesy's and Bednar's handbooks have limited leg-support design information. It looks like Dennis Moss' book is more informative on the topic. Regardless, if you don't have the original design calculations, you're in for a good bit of work evaluating wind, seismic and gravity loads before you get to the actual leg design.

That is about 1.3/16 inches which does not seem like that much. In fact the difference in specified pipe wall and actual wall could be just the mill tolerance considering that most pipe has tolerance of 0.875 of stated wall I believe. What is the specified wall thickness? Like 1" wall?

Also the actual minimum required wall per caculations may be much less than the purchased wall thickness considering pipe is only available in standard wall sizes so you might still have more wall then necessary.

Usually a structural engineer associated with the original manufaturer would do those calculations as they are not mechanical engineering in nature. I would try to contact the original fabricator and check with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back