Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spherodization assessment of carbon steels 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnynoface

Materials
Jun 1, 2006
I've been in heat treating for 23 years and have never been able to find a chart similar to a grain size chart to assess the degree of spherodization acheived in carbon steels. Can anyone steer me in that direction or offer a practical guide? For example, do long, rounded carbides count as spheroids, partially or in whole?
Any help would be much appreciated. I'm currently dealing with 9260 grade steel rod.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASTM A 892 rates lamellar content for high carbon bearing steels. The ratings are from LC1 (completely spheroidized) to LC6 (appears primarily lamellar).

You are right, this info is not easily found, but rather, hiding in other standards.

ASTM F 2282 Standard Specification for Quality Assurance Requirements for Carbon and Alloy Steel Wire, Rods, and Bars for Mechanical Fasteners has a good one. This standard is available at:

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I have seen a photomicrograph used in the specification to define what is wanted from a supplier. Just having numbers in the spec can (probably will) lead to disagreement.

The correct spherodization was determined at the forging press where the desired metal flow was achieved. Then back to the lab to qualify what they had and complete the specification. So, it was a work in progress.

==========================================
Business Card __________________________________________
Cycle Heaven.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back