Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPICE models for valves (vacuum tubes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianG

Military
Aug 28, 2001
GB
As a bit of nostalgia I want to design a super-high fidelity valve amplifier but using modern design simulation techniques first - rather than the way we used to do it!

We use Simetrix here at work, and I have found some models on the internet but they are a bit variable in modelling quality. Does anyone out there have first-hand experience of ACCURATE models of the common triodes and pentodes of yesteryear?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brian,

A month ago, I was in the engineering library at my local university, Iowa State in Ames, and casually perused the TK7800 section. There was a 1960s book there that included early analytical models of transistors as well as late analytical models of vacuum tubes. I did not write down this reference as I was after later transistor stuff, but I think it was around TK7867 to TK7870 or so.

Sure, this isn't SPICE or Simetrix, but it is perhaps a start for you.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the reply. I was a little puzzled by your reference TK7800 - is this a classification of the university library or is it in general use in America? I am based in England and as far as I know we use either the ISBN codes or the older Dewey system (which would probably come under 621.381.xx)

Regards,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back