Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spiral antenna gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

greebling

Electrical
Apr 2, 2003
GB
How much more gain could I expect to get by placing a spiral above a reflecting cavity as opposed to a cavity backed spiral where the back lobe is absorbed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends...

If the "reflecting cavity" was the 1000 foot diameter dish in Arecibo, then you could get quite a bit of gain...

If the "reflecting cavity" was badly designed, then you could have a deep null where you might normally expect to find gain.

I'm not sure about the gain difference, however the patterns and operational bandwidth will change. A spiral in a metal cavity will have an approximate octive bandwidth. When the caity is loaded the bandwidth is greatly increased. The max gain is typically acheived when the cavity is .25*lambda (wavelength). Think in terms of an image (or dipole over a ground plane).

Reference: "Antenna Engineering Handbook" second edition by Johnson and Jasik, chapter 14.

Thank you photistor, What gain would I expect from a spiral lamba/4 above a cavity as oposed to having an absorbing cavity. Would you expect a cavity to give 3 dB enhancement or 6 dB due to voltage squared being induced for doubling of power due to cavity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back