Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spiral cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsjoe

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2004
US
I have 2"diameter and 20" long tube drawn fo 0.1" thick. I want to make spiral cuts that's only 2" long, 0.125" wide and through the thickness of the pipe. The spiral pitch is 1 revolution over the 20" long. That means that the spiral cut is 36 degrees. I want to make three of cuts that are separated by 120deg when looking axially. I guess the closes thing it looks like is the DNA thing, but the difference is the three cuts instead of ribbons.

How do I make this cut.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, this should go allright...

I suppose you know how to make the spiral, thing (draw a circle, choose the spiral from the curves menu, define as you like)

now, you have your tube. Apply the spiral onto your tube, make scetch at tube end , pierce som point with the spiral.

go out of sketch, sweep cut. Now, make another sketch at pipe end, using the pipe profile, extrude along the pipe as long as needed, pattern this feature you need it along the pipe to fill inn the uncut sections.

alternatively, you make your pipe as a sweep from the start, just leave open the part of the pipe that is supposed to be cut. Fll in the parts that are not supposed to be cut as described above.

Best of luck, Bernt.

Very important question - are you looking for a spiral or a helix. It make a great difference in how the question is answered.

I think you're looking to define a helix.

Describe the base circle for the helix - from an end face, a plane, whatever is most logical.

In defining your helix, use the pitch/revolution combination. Define the pitch to equal the length of the tube - 20". Define the revolution to 36/360 or 0.1. It appears that the length of the cut and the length of the tube have a relationship.

Start your cutting profile sketch on the same plane or face as the helix base circle and sketch you profile.

Create the sweep cut. Pattern the sweep cut.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Christopher Zona
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for your inputs!

How do you sweep CUT? I know the sweep command but don' see the cut part. Sorry guys, I am new to Solidworks. I just ordered Blanchard's book last week. Thanks again.

Insert > Cut > Sweep ... or
Tools > Customize > Commands > Features then drag & drop the Swept Cut icon to the Features toolbar.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

I just ordered Blanchard's book last week.

Good Glad to see you order it. Just and FYI - It's "Planchard" with a "P"

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back