Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePowers

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2021
CO
SALUTES TO ALL OF YOU ENGINEERS!!

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU, AND WOULD APPRECIATE A LOT YUR HELP:

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND TO ME TO JOIN HSS ROUND COLUMNS: END PLATE SPLICE (AS SHOW THE PICTURE ATTACHED) OR FULL PENETRATION WELD?

ANOTHER THING, I DONT FIND AN EXAMPLE WHERE SPLICE TO BE DESIGN WITH AXIAL LOAD AND MOMENT TOGETHER, ONLY AXIAL LOAD. IF ANYONE HAS ONE, I WOULD APPRECIATE A LOT.

THANKS AND EXCUSES FOR MY ENGLISH.

ENG-TIPS_qgcto0.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is a field connection, its a no brainer for me......bolted end plate splice every time.

If this is a shop connection, I would opt for the connection with less weld. Will a CJP require less weld than welding the plate and stiffeners?

To design this connection for moment, you can treat it like a column base plate. Design the flange plate as if it were a flexible base plate.

Thanks for your replies!!

RobertJeffery: YES!! They are visible.

MotorCity: In fact, as I haven´t found an example axial-moment connection,I thought in full penetration weld option and to avoid a headache.

and avoid the stiffeners if you can... thicker end plate are generally much less costly.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks hopi... I was unaware of them... for special consideration...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

You might get a few ideas from pressure pipe details. Those connections need to be high-performance yet simple to construct. The flanges are usually quite thick (no stiffeners).

We do similar pipe connections for overhead sign structures fairly regularly. The length that can be delivered to the site has always controlled for us, so ours have been exclusively unstiffened bolted flange connections.

Same as MotorCity, field welding it is not something we would even consider for one of those. Ours are subject to millions of cycles of loading, so high quality welding is essential, and that's not likely to happen in the field.

Flanges with stiffeners are not only typically more expensive to fabricate, but they've also performed very poorly with regard to fatigue for sign structures, luminaire poles and traffic signal poles.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Thanks for the confirmation... I've always done that and I'm glad someone has had experience with the alternative. I've always done that because of the difficulty in alalysing the stiffener on to the face of the tube (round or square).

-Dik

The AASHTO LRFD sign spec has fairly detailed info on the fatigue resistance of a number of connection configurations.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back