Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spline consultant or consulting firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUFUS2K

Mechanical
May 21, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a consulting firm that specializes in splines and drivelines incorporating splines? I have designed an air conditioning system that is driven by an accessory drive pad on an aircraft engine. All of the components have been built and assembled but when I connect everything to the dynamometer in our lab for endurance testing, there is an obvious "wobble" at the output end of the drive shaft. I realize that my description is pretty vague but let me summarize the question this way: If the shaft is straight and the bearings that hold the shaft are aligned, why to I get a wobble in the shaft when I mate the driver and driven splines and start the motor? I have checked for runout on the splines and there is a max value of .0003". So what it all boils down to is that we have exhausted all of the things that we know to do and are looking to bring in someone who has been doing this for a living for a long time. Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RUFUS2K; send me a fax showing the configuration, I'll let you kknow if we can help. 262-369-0367. If you have an electronic layout, our email is ehahlbeck@wi.rr.com

Your problem is not in my field but I do get interested
in unusual problems being curious by nature. How much overhang after the bearing support do you have at the end of the wobbly output shaft? What RPM's and which harmonic is the problem showing? Magnitude of wobble and shaft size? Is the output end to a gear reduction or compressor during the test? Rotary compressor? Do you suspect the wobble to be from an unbalanced load at the end of the shaft or is the shaft itself unbalanced?
Since I am sending this message from an academic curiosity as vibration problems like yours is of interest to me I'll understand if you dont take the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back