Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spline tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex56

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2007
IR
Hi
I have kind of the same problem DynamicEng has. I try to do spline tutorial example but it doesnt work.I think there is something wrong with this part. Read these lines that are qouted from tutorial:
"1.Create the spline using the spline editor or the general method.(it does not specify a name for spline)
2 Build a simple nonlinear spring-damper, and then modify it to use the spline. To use the spline in the spring-damper definition, under Stiffness and Damping in the
Spring-Damper Modify dialog box, change the stiffness coefficient to Spline: F=f(defo). ADAMS/View builds a function expression for you, using AKISPL and
modeled spring length as free length."
When I type Spline: F=f(defo) in K window it gives error. This error seems reasonable. How should the program understand this f(defo) is the same spline defined before?we can not set f=f(variable) with 2 different units in splines.Does anybody know what I should do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The F=f(defo) is an option in the pulldown menu in the spring dialog box immediately to the left of where you were entering the above syntax in the "k" box.

Select this option and right click in the field where you would normally specify a K value. An option to Browse for a spline should pop up, and (assuming the spline already exists) you should just be able to pick it in the Database Navigator that appears.

I'm pretty new to ADAMS too, and I have found that the Right Mouse Button browsing (I'm not sure if there's a proper name for it in ADAMS lingo) is a lifsaver. It works pretty much anywhere that input is required, and ensures that you are using the correct syntax.

Good Luck

Yeah, I've only been using adams for 7 years

Strictly speaking you have a gui problem, I'm sure the underlying solver code is making as much or as little sense as usual.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Thnak u justkeepgiviner for answering the problem. I could do it. Do u know how u can make a spline and use as a run time force? It should have a similar manner. As I read in another topic it is not only my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back