Splined Shaft in solidworks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsdark

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2012
US
Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a solidworks model of an involute splined shaft, in particular the male externally splined shaft. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to create an accurate model. I found articles reffering to software called SplineGen but have been unable to find the software online. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to create a spline model to accurate dimenstions in solidworks or know of any software or add-ins that i can use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is nice but, doesn't draw the trochoid fillet at the base of the tooth. If it is just for show in 2D or 3D then it is acceptable but, if you want an actual real drawing to use in CNC or wire EDM machining then it is not accurate enough to meet any specific accuracy such as required by AGMA, DIN, ISO, etc.

Cheers guys for all your help, I've gone throught the calcs in the Machienery handbook and have drafted up two models, one for each of the shaft variations. I am having issues determaning how much to fillet the edges at the top and the bottom of the teeth, the spline is a flat root slide type fit. Has anyone any ideas?

.005 max radii at the tips & at the root, unless it becomes a stress riser at root then look at the radii between the tif & the root diameter.
radii that you specify must be producible.
in other words not to large & it cause it run out into the tooth profile .
for ansi splines there is very little clearance between the tif & root on a flat root side fit
it will depend on the spec of the spline you are using.

Mfgenggear
if it can be built it can be calculated.
if it can be calculated it can be built.

Thank you mfgenggear for your help, I think I have now managed to successfully create a solidworks model which I think looks fairly reasonable, I used some geometry and calculations from the machinery handbook so fingers crossed its accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back