Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Split a task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froisart

Computer
Feb 10, 2003
AU
Can anyone please tell me how to set up a task in project so that the task duration is split into two discxrete time periods. Is this possible, or must I use two separate lines

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for that suggestion. I can't try it out at the moment as my help on recurring tasks is not working for some reason. When I've solved that problem, I'll give it a try.

I'm not aware that the task can be split in the way you want it. You can allow tasks to be split, but they will be split to fit available resources/hours. But to split a task into deterministic hours...I dunno. Perhaps you can just set it up with "TaskX, Part 1" and TaskX, Part 2".

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Advanced Robotics & Automation Engineering

1. It is actually possible to split one task into two distinct time periods.
2. Although it is possible, if you can use the method that tygerdawg described above, you may be better off in the long run. It will be a little less confusing.

With that said, here is now to split a task:
1. Slide the verticle divider to the left and find this task on the Gantt Chart.
2. Right click on the task and click on Split Task
3. You will notice that your cursor changes and a dialogue box appears. As you slide your cursor along the task, you will notice the date will change within the dialogue box. Once you are on the date where you would like the task to split, left click and drag to your right until you have inserted the "break" that you would like to see. In essence, you have just taken one task and split it into two working time periods.

Hope this helps!!
J Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back