Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

split body and 2 directions drafted pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianMansinni

Mechanical
May 10, 2004
IL
Hi,
I'm trying to design a simple part (something like a pulley), that consists of a closed profile that is extruded with a draft angle to both sides.

1.Is there a way to achieve this by using the "drafted filleted pad" function? It seams that this function disables 2 directions extrusion. (I know I can extrude it w draft to one direction, then mirror the result, but I'm looking for a quicker method).

2. If there is no way to do it in one function, I would like to do the following: Use "mirrored extent" pad, then use "draft" to draft the faces using the plane of the pad's sketch as the neutral plane. The problem is that I have to split the faces (at the plane of the pad's sketch) so I'll have 2 "sides" to draft - each side to different direction.
How can I split these faces? The "split" command from the surface-based features toolbar removes one side of the body and does not split the faces leaving both sides.

Thx,
Catia.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

1. As you already found out, you can't achieve what you're after with "drafted filleted pad".

2. Yoy can split faces you're drafting directly with "draft angle" command. Check "parting=neutral" and "draft both sides" on Draft definition panel.

Thx. I found it an hour ago...
I also found out that one cannot extrude "up to last"/"up to next" etc while using the drafted filleted pad - only explicitly defining a value. Pity.

Catia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back