Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Split coupling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglet

Industrial
Jun 25, 2003
US
I am designing a brass split coupling to be used in a four jaw chuck to prevent damage to a shaft from the jaws while the shaft is being turned. The OD of the shaft is 2.5590 +/- 0.0001. If I am going to make the split in the coupling 0.125, will it be okay if I make the ID of the coupling 2.565 or should I make it slightly larger?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Considering the amount of clamping pressure that is going to have to be applied to the coupling to keep the shaft from moving during the machining operation, I would say that the maximum ID for the coupling should be 2.5589".

I am assuming that the split coupling you are talking about is two-piece. That, and I am assuming that you need a slight interference fit on the shaft as to eliminate any chatter or movement during the machining operaton.

Your tolerance = 2.5590 +/- .0001
Maximum Mat'l Condition of shaft = 2.5591
Minimum Mat'l Condition of shaft = 2.5589

You must accomodate the minimum mat'l condition in order for your coupling to be useful in all situations.

I've done this a number of times - you don't have to make it two piece - just use one slit, its easier to handle. If it has a relatively thin wall, say 1/4", you can get away with two or three thousanths clearance - it will close up OK.

Hi eaglet

When I had a situation such as yours where a part had to be
protected from damage, I used to remove the standard jaws
and replace them with soft mild steel blank ones,which after
centralising were bored out to the component size.

regards desertfox

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to use a coupling with a single split on one side. I am also looking into purchasing some smooth, mild steel chuck jaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back