Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

split surface singularities

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzkoz

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I'm having a problem with singularities at the boundary of split surfaces when a portion of the surface has a fixed BC applied to it. As a simple example, if I have cantilevered arm which is supported by a wall over half the arm, I've split the surface in two, and applied a zero displacement in the y direction constraint to one half. When I solve the model I find that there is a singularity along the split line, the stress goes up and up with each mesh refinement (in this case p-order). Is there a better way to constrain the model? Do I need to explore using some more advanced element, like a contact element or something similar?

As an alternative I can compute the reaction load ahead of time and apply it here, and then apply a displacement constraint to another portion of the model just to stabilize it and then check to be sure that any loads at that reaction are insignificant but I don't think this really models the problem as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, your model is basically a diving board?

Well, if you're interested in the stress at the edge of the support, I'd suggest modeling the support. It's a good rule of thumb to apply your boundary conditions sufficiently far from your area of interest.

Honestly, though, if you're modeling a simple beam you can just look in Roarks and solve it by hand, can't you?

//signed//
Christopher K. Hubley
Mechanical Engineer
Sunpower Incorporated
Athens, Ohio
--

This is a simplified example, my model is much more complex. It's actually a keyed assembly and I'm modeling the stresses in the keys. I guess I can model the assembly and use contact elements, this would be the closest thing to reality but I'm trying to keep the size of my model down. I was looking for some way I might model it using only the one part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back