Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spliting output to drive two drive motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzliteyear

Automotive
Oct 24, 2020
NZ
Hello,
I have a sheared tang off a HPI 4cc tandem hydraulic gear pump from a hydralada ,

people say that is a weak point and convert to taper and use the lovejoy couplings to the upgraded G420 honda copy 14hp (from last owner)

looks like one pump supplies power to one motor for drive,

can a single pump have split output be used to supply the two drive motors ?

tandem pumps are hard to get and new are alot of money

Brett

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f7d9efc7-6627-4754-8b5f-fe2a538c7ab9&file=small1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A single pump running two motors will push flow to the motor that is rotates with the least resistance. It's much the same as an open differential in a truck axle. If both motors are linked together by a shaft, you can run a single pump. If both motors are independent you'll need two pumps.

Option two would be to have the pump work against a relief valve and then you could divide the flow to each motor but that would generate much heat and waste a lot of energy. This is similar to the common rail fuel injection systems on engines.

@TugboatEng thanks for that.....So I would go around in circles,

is there a way to join two single pumps ? Not back to back like my tandem but side by side ?

its easyer for me to get two single pumps

could they run by chain or belt ? I guess more mucking around

is there a off the shelf bellhousing like the log splitter ones

cheers
Brett

I didn't say you would go in circles, it would work like a differential in a car. Torque gets split evenly. If this is a driving the wheels of a vehicle a single pump would work provided you aren't skid steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back