Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

splitting one part into multiple 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidlunch

Industrial
Jun 2, 2005
US
I have one part I am splitting into four. They all need to be linked. I modeled this by creating one part that I called "PART FOR SPLIT" this part only contains common geometry between the four other parts. I copy these surfaces and geometry from this part into the other four, split it then finish each individual part. I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I copy geometry from a part into another part but only up to a particualar point in the tree?

2. Can I exclude my main construction part from the assembly once my models are complete.(so it won't show up in the BOM)and only add it back when there is an update?

3. Are there any other modleling techniques besides this to accomplish the creation of this sort of a product?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way of doing what you seem to want is to use family tables. This way you can create the basic details, and have multiple parts using that basic detail as the starting point.
The generic will not show up in any assembly unless specificaly added.

Yes, you can set it up once geometry has been created. What you need to do is select the non-standard features for the family table, and set them to No when creating a new family table member.

I am doing this on an enclosure assembly and have had success with using INHERITANCE. Advanced Assembly Extension required

INHERITANCE Method:
1) create a top level part (CASE.PRT) with all the basic information required, keeping in mind that you'll add more detail in the individual "downstream" parts

2) create the first part (CASE-TOP.PRT) and INSERT > SHARED DATA > INHERITANCE FROM OTHER MODEL. Select (CASE.PRT) from the working directory and use DEFAULT position. This is the first feature of the new part.

3) repeat step 2 for all required parts

At this point you can edit each individual part without affecting the Top level / Master part. In addition, if you need the entire assembly to be larger/smaller/countour change etc. You only need to edit the Top level part and rebuild your individual parts. All edits are one-way / top down so part design is very flexible.

4) When creating the ASSEMBLY.ASM just insert the individual parts with the DEFAULT position and everything will be aligned and mated properly.

Eholmes

We use a similar technique to eholmes except that we use a skeleton model and the assembly. Here is our basic technique (also requires AA extention):

1. Create assembly for "product_asm"
2. Add skeleton model "product_asm_skel"
3. Create geometry for housing, critical feature locations, basically any data that will be needed by multiple parts. I create these using no solid data. Just quilts. Makes it easy for blanking/hiding while working on the skeleton.
4. Create parts "housing_top, housing_bot, etc"
5. Assemble using default
6. Activate component, insert, copy_geom, select quilts from skeleton model that are needed by that component.

Pro's to this method:
- selecting quilts makes for easy modifications as the copy_geoms don't get too bent out of shape when changes to skeleton model are made.
- Using skeleton model is good way to manage assembly and doesn't show up in BOM's, etc.
- Can do almost all work right in assembly.

Con's:
- Assembly needs to be loaded into memory (but I like this a control because the assembly IS the product)
- Skeleton models can get pretty complicated if care is not excersized.

------------
Jason Williams
K Development, Inc.

Another way you can do this is with the Publish geometry Functionality.

In your main part create the part geometry and the surfaces or datums needed for the splits. Create a Solid Surfaces Copy feature, select any surface with Geometry shown in the selection toolbar then right click and choose solid surfaces and hit CTRL+C and CTRL+V to paste a copy feature. Create Publish geometry features fr each of the 4 Parts and select the Copy Feature and the split surfaces.

Then you can create the four parts separately an create an External Copy Geom or Insert > Shared Data > Copy Geometry from Other Model and select the respective Publish geometry features and the solidify and trim each of the 4 parts. Any changes you make to the original model will update when each part is regenerated.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back