Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sports Facility Structural Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamman

Structural
Sep 29, 2000
CA
Hi Everyone

I would like to know what others have experienced for fees for a recreational type facility (arena, pool, multi-purpose rooms, etc.). I am trying to get an idea of what the % structural fee would be of the total consulting fee.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally I assume the structural engineer gets about 11 percent of the architect's fee. This will be between 0.5 and 1 percent of construction cost.

This includes construction documents (drawings and specifications), stamped calculations, and limited construction phase activity (review of submittals and a limited number of site observation visits).

DaveAtkins

.25 to .5 of the construction cost is about average. I am not sure about the 11% of the architect's fee. 11% would be great. My bids are based on an estimate on how long it would take to do the work based on an hourly rate and about a 10% contingency depending on the client.

.75 to 1.5% of construction cost, depending on the complexity, is the norm for established structural firms in Australia. Some small firms work for less. Why would you work for 11% of the architect's fee when you have to do a lot of his work for him? We have multipliers to apply to jobs depending on which architect is involved.

Competitive bidding for engineering services which vary greatly in quality still causes smoke to come from my ears.

You estimate a percent of the Architect's fee when he is your client. Here in the U.S., the Architect generally gets a fee of between 6 and 10 percent of the construction cost. 11 percent of THAT fee works out to be 1/2 to 1 percent of construction cost.

DaveAtkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back