spots on metal surface after applying pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jangolobow

Chemical
Jun 26, 2009
DE
Hallo

I have question. From raw material supplier we obtain material in desired form (cast). We assemble this part and clean it (with first hot water and after with dry ice and again in hot water). Material surface is completely clean. After applying pressure on this part some spots appear on the material surface. We did analyses of those spots and they are from carbohydrates. Does somebody have idea why those spots would appear and from where do the arise? Prior we apply pressure there is no spot after we apply pressure spot appear. Is it possible that there are some impurities “hidden” in material? And after applying pressure they diffuse out from valve body? Applied pressure is up to 600 bar, surrounding temperature (up to 30degC)? We apply pressure by water 8it is clean – spots can not appear from test fluid)!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More info needed, starting with the material.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

OK, so can you detect carbohydrates on the surfaces prior to pressurization? If not, then the pressurization process is adding them, no? Or, an alternative is that the water is leeching carbon from the valve material itself; have you analyzed the material for carbon?

Have you analyzed the water itself; pressurization implies pumps, which imply lubricants, which are often carbon-based, i.e., oils.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Dry ice is a good source C as well and can from many compounds. Perhaps your final wash isn't as thorough as needed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back