Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spreadsheet program for engineering units? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjj

Computer
Jun 22, 2012
GB
Can anyone recommend a Windows spreadsheet program that understands engineering units?

E.g. will convert values automatically between units I have specified, and automatically display the units of the results of expressions of values in units e.g. energy (J) / mass (g) / temperature (J) -> specific heat (J/g/K).

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, it is called MathCAD.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

I use Mathcad and have used Uconeer in the past. BTW, Uconeer was written by a member on this site. Since Mathcad is a bit pricy, an alternative is SMarh Studio, which is similar in concept to Mathcad, but is freeware:
Alternately, TK Solver can handle units and has an Excel add-on that might do what you want.

Speaking of which, if you give more context and more information, it's more likely that someone will be able to come up with a solution. Withholding usage scenarios only makes it harder to find a solution.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I second IRStuff's mention of smath - a great free tool imo. (I do realize it is not what you requested).

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

I have just posted my own unit conversion spreadsheet on my blog:

Looking for a spreadsheet or add-in that would provide better functionality my requirements are:
■Provision of User Defined Functions (UDF’s) for unit conversion, so that the conversion may be easily applied to tabular data anywhere in any spreadsheet.
■A wide range of output units, including all “customary units” used for engineering applications in the USA.
■Editable unit data tables so that new units may be added or corrected.
■Output of converted data in array form, so that the data may be easily used in other UDF’s.
■Preferably free and open source.

None of the existing unit conversion spreadsheets that I’m aware of meet all these requirements (most don’t even come close), so I decided to write my own.

The download file provides open source UDF's to convert to and from SI and a list of 344 non-SI units (taken from Wikipedia).
It's version 0.0, so no doubt there are some errors, and things that could be improved.

Any comments gratefully received.

Download from:

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back