Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spreadsheet program for engineering units? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjj

Computer
Jun 22, 2012
GB
Can anyone recommend a Windows spreadsheet program that understands engineering units?

E.g. will convert values automatically between units I have specified, and automatically display the units of the results of expressions of values in units e.g. energy (J) / mass (g) / temperature (J) -> specific heat (J/g/K).

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chrisjj,

On the last page of any engineering spreadsheets I do, I set up the last worksheet for engineering conversions and other stuff.

Code:
.   A        B         C
1   in       =.0254    m
2   ft       =12*in    m
3   lb       =4.45     N
4   furlong  =660*ft   m

Column B shows the formula, not the values. I name the cells in column B, in this case, "in", "ft", "lb" and "furlong" respectively. Column[ ]C is just for information

Anywhere else in my spreadsheet, when I enter a value in units like lb.in, I go =210*lb*in, and it comes out in N.m.

For something like pressure, I would go 14.7*lb/in^2, and it comes out in N/m^2 (Pa).

--
JHG

E.g. (from my OP) "automatically display the units of the results of expressions of values in units". Hence that I asked for a spreadsheet program rather than a spreadsheet document.

Your spreadsheet document looks like probably the best solution that can be delivered in a spreadsheet document - well done!

E.g. (from my OP) "automatically display the units of the results of expressions of values in units".

OK, I can add that. It will look something like:

If you have:
Row 1: a 100 kN
Row 2: b 10 m
Row 3: = a * b (text)

Then =EvalU(A3, A1:C2) will return 1000 kN.m

Or you could use =EvalU("= a * b", A1:C2) with the same result.

Anything else you would like?

I'm not exactly clear what you mean by a "spreadsheet program" as opposed to a "spreadsheet document".

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

chrisjj said:
Thanks JHG. That's neat. Sounds like you're another user that would like the program I'm looking for! :)

I have the program. It is a spreadsheet.

I can enter my values and the units, and have everything convert to my standard units. Since Excel and Libre (Open) Office allow you to name spreadsheet cells, you have no problems writing out expressions in a format you can understand.

--
JHG

> I'm not exactly clear what you mean by a "spreadsheet program" as opposed to a "spreadsheet document".

A spreadsheet program is e.g. Excel. a spreadsheet document is e.g. an XLS. A Windows program can do more than can a spreadsheet document.

> I have the program. It is a spreadsheet.

The program I described does this:

Chris said:
automatically display the units of the results of expressions of values
in units e.g. energy (J) / mass (g) / temperature (J) -> specific heat (J/g/K).

Your spreadsheet, clever though it is, does not do that.

"A spreadsheet program is e.g. Excel. a spreadsheet document is e.g. an XLS. A Windows program can do more than can a spreadsheet document."

Again, some confusion in terminology. While Excel is a program, that does not mean that a spreadsheet does not contain a program; to wit, any VBA content means that a spreadsheet document can run a VBA program, and so it's more than just a document, and would be properly described as a "spreadsheet program."

If you mean a Windows program that reads and executes spreadsheets, then you are out of luck; you're back to SMath and Mathcad. TK!Solver is probably the closest thing to what you apparently want:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

> TK!Solver is probably the closest thing to what you apparently want:

Yet does not meet the requirement: a spreadsheet program.

> you are out of luck

So it seems! Thanks, all.

I would argue, however, that TK Solver IS A spreadsheet program, since its inputs are all entered in a table format. It may not be what you want, but it is a form of a spreadsheet program, since everything is entered into tabular sheets.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Just the basic spreadsheet program features e.g. of Excel, plus the units as described.

OK, the feature you wanted is a little harder than I first thought, but it should be doable.

But I must say that converting values to/from one specified system of units from/to another specified system of units (or base SI units) seems to me like the basic functionality needed in a "units aware" spreadsheet, and that's what my spreadsheet does.

Doug Jenkins

> OK, the feature you wanted is a little harder than I first thought, but it should be doable.

That would be great.

> But I must say that converting values to/from one specified system of units from/to another
> specified system of units (or base SI units) seems to me like the basic functionality needed
> in a "units aware" spreadsheet

Agreed. I accept I am asking for more than basic.

You asked: Anything else you would like? My answer: no - that's all I am missing.

I've made a couple of changes to the spreadsheet:
- Since the OP specifically mentioned specific heat, I have added specific heat units (SI only at the moment).
- When no output units are specified the function generates a result value and units. Previously these were discarded if the output units were not recognised, but the value will be valid so I have changed it so that the value and units are returned as long as all the input units are recognised.

Doug Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back