Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spring Cans - Hot Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Dec 21, 2006
US
I have several spring cans that I will need to verify the hot setting, trouble is that when its hot, I can't get anywhere near the pipe or the cans to look at them. Any ideas how to do this?...Looking for an alternate to setting up cameras. I can cool them back down later and check what happened, thinking of some sort of marking system.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Physically, I've often been isolated from the cans by distance (too high, no scaffolding, no ladder, etc), but but I've never been isolated by heat before. 8<)

But, since you need to look at the cans "horizontally" to avoid errors, I'd put a camera on a pole, turn it on video mode, and lift it up to where you need to look, then pull it down and look at the video. Or set it to camera mode and figure out to remote trip the shutter. The cans have a scale on the side, but be sure you're able to correctly see (and read on the picture) either the top (or bottom) of the bar that sticks out: some are calibrated to the top, some the bottom.

With a high-res, good camera (we have a Canon SLR with a great lens), you can zoom from a long ways away, and also zoom the digital image when played.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back