Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spring Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiabao

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2004
CN
Dear Everybody,

Please let me know if it is possible to simulate the spring to return to its original position? In Mechanism mode i put a spring between two points, one point is fixed and the other link point is movable because of pin connection, The link connected by cam connection by other link and lift off is enable, when the other link hits the link with spring it moves and the spring stretch but when both links dis-engage the spring never go back to its original position? Please inform me how to apply a force on the spring to ga back to its original position after the two links un-contact?

Thanks in Advance,

Jiabao

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jiabao

You are most likely running a Kinematic analysis. This should be a Dynamic analysis. In the analysis creation dialog box, there is a drop down option that lets you select this.

Dynamic analyses take into account forces, torques etc., including the ones that your spring entitiy creates. Kinematic analyses only take into account velocities and accelerations of the linkages.

Also- double check to make sure that the unstretched length of your spring is correct.

Hope it works out [smile]

Mark

(BTW: Does anyone know why or how to apply the "Repeated Assembly" analysis? I've never used it and I'm curious to know what its for. The name seems like a dead giveaway,but I can't tell the difference between that and a Kinematic analysis.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back