Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Springs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMachine

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2011
US
I'm trying to draw a sketch for the other end of this sprring I have here. To create the flat on the end to the right, I drew a sketch in the front plane, and made an extruded cut. After I did this, I made a revolve off of the face of the end of the spring, 180 degrees around.

Now I'm trying to do this on the opposite end of the spring, and I can't seem to get it. I drew the line in the center of the spring, which is on the top plane, to use as a reference and also to have that point down there to use as the center of my circle sketch. The line in the center about halfway is on the top plane as well, and was going to serve as a midpoint to mirror the sketch on the right end to the left end. That also did not work.

When I go to the left end of the spring and select front plane, it automatically draws the circle I'm trying to sketch in the top plane. I even tried rotating that gemoetry that was drawn in the top plane, to somehow morph it 90 degrees into the front plane, no dice..lol

How would I get this sketch down there so I can repeat the spring flat on that end??

Thanks.

spring.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to mirror the feature that cuts the flat into your spring you will need to create a plane at the midpoint of your spring. Then you should be able to do the mirror. Alternatively, you can just create two rectangles at either end on the top plane and extrude the multi-contour cut through all from the midplane.

Dan

Dan's Blog

The rectangles at the end extruded on the midplane worked for the cut.. Many thanks.

Now I am trying to get the revolve at 180 degrees to continue the flat.

Yeah - aside from looking 'cool' or running an FEA analysis - it's really not worth it. (Try telling that one to someone like myself who's lived for modelling the details.)

SW Premium 2011
64 bit SP4.0
Intel Xenon X5650 @2.67GHz
2.66 GHz 11.9 GB of RAM

I see..a tube..I feel dumb lol.

I like to see the graphocal representation of the actual spring. I don't think my models are advanced enough yet for it to affect performance.

Springs fall in the same category as threads. Pretty generic and fully specified by the text on the spring drawing. Expensive computationally in a model. Unless you need eye-candy for a manual or marketing or the spring has a special shape, a cylinder is the way to go.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back