Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sprinkler max pressure, pressure regulators 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliomendez

Mechanical
Jan 23, 2008
VE
If i have a combined system with sprinkler, hose and hydrants, i will have differents pressure requirements, for expample, 100 Psi for hydrant, 65 Psi for hose and 20 Psi as minimun for sprinkler.All the system before, will be preasurized by one pump, so i will set my pump to the highest pressure, wich is the hydrant`s pressure (100 Psi). Should i use a pressure regulator for the hoses and sprinklers and wich kind of pressure regulator should i use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the equipment data on the hoses and sprinklers.

They should list the maximum pressures allowed. I don't know the requirements of hoses off the top of my head, but I use standard sprinklers up to 175 psi which is where I start using a regulator at the hose valves.

not an hydraulics expert or fpe but to me you design to highest pressure required and use that pressure to you advantage. Yes you may have to regulate standpipe connections

does not appear you have your required pressures correct

juliomendez
why the question??

what do you do for a living??

This system is a industrial area, wich requieres all of those items, the problems is that i requiere differents pressure, the big point hear is that the NFPA Standart doesn´t clear wich kind of pressure regulator should we use.!!!!

juliomendez

once again how are you connected with this project??

owner, designer, installer, etc???

nfpa 13, 14 does deal with it

You use a pressure regulating device when your pressures exceed your max allowable. For example, if you have pressures of 200 psi and devices rated only for 175 psi, then you need a pressure reducing / regulating device.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

TravisMack, thanks for the information, but içm still have the doubt wich kind of pressure regulator should i use?can i use orifice plate, Relief valve?

cdafd, I`m desiging the fire supression system!!

Julio

The general rule is that when using listed fire protection system components, they are listed for a pressure of 175 PSIG. As Travis said, if your pressure exceeds 175 PSIG, you need to provide a listed pressure reducing/regulating valve.

If your looking for a manufacturer, try these folks:

For the most part NFPA standards do not allow the use or orifice plates.

Be cautious on the pressures when dealing with standpipes. If it is a Class I standpipe, and depending on your design, NFPA 14 will require pressure reducing valves at hose valves that can have discharge pressures > 100 PSIG.

What cdafd said. The kind of help you are asking for is lightyears beyond what this forum can offer.

Most of us here have been actively engineering or laying out systems for 10, 20 and even 30 years.

Find an FPE or certified sprinkler systems designer because the little bit of money you'll spend sounds like it would be returned a hundred fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back