Sprinkler Obstruction and Radiant Heating Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron-Engineering

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2022
GB
Hi All,

I have two questions for a project I need some guidance on and would appreciate some help.

Firstly, We require an ESFR system for a warehouse, but there is the presence of 1.0m wide by 7m+ long radiant panels every 3-4m spacing and 2-3m below the ceiling.

What is the best method to place sprinklers within 150mm of a radiant panel due to the obstruction? It is currently unclear due to the proximity of radiated heat how best to provide sprinkler protection.
Has anyone encountered this problem before and what solution did you incorporate?

We can use a higher-temperature sprinkler head, but this may not be enough so would be great to hear some commentary.

Secondly, There is an area with an extra hazard sprinkler system using K160 sprinkler heads at approx 12m high, where there are again rectangular obstructions 1.0m in width by 4-5m in length, 2-3m below the ceiling.
I have been reading the obstruction rules for standard spray sprinklers again and again but it is still unclear to me how to deal with suspended obstructions.

For these continuous obstructions, it appears as long as it is less than 1.2m in width and more than 450mm below the sprinkler deflector, it should not require additional protection.
Again, it would be great to hear some feedback and sense check on this, and if i have interpreted this correctly.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are following nfpa this model refers to NFPA 13 chap 14 for obstructions, or FM 2.

That is why the brand and model is needed to see what the manufacture says.

Also I do not have 13 nearby so cannot see what chapter 14 says

What is the best method to place sprinklers within 150mm of a radiant panel due to the obstruction? It is currently unclear due to the proximity of radiated heat how best to provide sprinkler protection.
Has anyone encountered this problem before and what solution did you incorporate?

Have you contacted the designer or the manufacturer of the heating radiators for recommendations such as indicative heat dissipation patterns and prevailing temperatures? For example, right next to the panel the radiation is expected minimal while convection typically does not run horizontally.

For these continuous obstructions, it appears as long as it is less than 1.2m in width and more than 450mm below the sprinkler deflector, it should not require additional protection.

I find you statement correct. However, the limitations about obstructions per 10.2.7.2 still apply.

I have never heard of radiant panels that big, spaced that closely, in a storage warehouse. Are they just placed at the overhead doors on the exterior walls, or throughout the floor area?

With the metric units and NFPA references - I'm guessing this is in Canada?

Hi UFT12,

I'm waiting for feedback on that one from the system designer, it seems 50 deg c will be the temperature at the unit with surrounding destratification fans.
I believe you can get high K-factor heads rated for 100 deg c, so this might be the best way if needed beneath.

Thank you.

Skdesigner, yes I would say this project is not your usual use for a warehouse and they will be across the whole floor area of the building.

Nope :), This project is in England, UK and I am having to consider all NFPA codes, United Facilities Criteria (UFC) and British Standards, which is a bit of a daunting task!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back