Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sprinkler system for a warehouse with apex height of 22m 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintler11

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2012
Hi,
I am involved in a project to design sprinkler system for a large warehouse. Some dimensions are as follows:
Apex height: 22m
Eave height: 14m
Height of storage: 12m
Types of racks: The racks consist of three rows (the height of each row is 4m)
Type of storage: encapsulated, class III

Now, my questions:
1) I cannot find anything in NFPA 13 to cover sprinkler design regarding this roof height (=22m). Can you give me some hints or references?

2) Can I use ESFR sprinklers in this project? If yes, do I have to use intermediate sprinklers? And in how many levels do I have to install sprinklers?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From NFPA 13, 2010 edition

See
16.3 Protection Criteria for Rack Storage of Class I Through Class IV Commodities Stored Over 25 ft (7.6 m) in Height.

and then look at

12.1.3.4 Excessive Clearances.

You can NOT use ESFR

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Fm is the authority on esfr as they developed the technology in the early 80's. The highest peak roof height is 45 ft and that is with the really large esfr heads. I have seen consultants try to apply their own esfr designs to unproven fire loads. Not a good idea. I would suggest you check out fm data sheet 2-0 and 8-9 if you are looking for esfr prot criteria. These data sheets
are now free to the public.

Sdpaddler50

Do not forget the Reliable ESFR product good for 43' storage height in a 48'high building, see below for details. Note the minimum aisle width.

Link

The HL22 Specific Application ESFR sprinkler is intended for installation in accordance with the specific application sprinkler criteria referenced in NFPA 13. This sprinkler is intended for protection of Class I to IV Commodities and cartoned unexpanded Group A or B plastics. The storage can be palletized and solid piled, open frame single row or multiple row and portable rack storage for storage heights to 43ft. (13m) in buildings with ceilings to 48ft. (14.6m) high and minimum 8ft. (2,4m) aisle width.

This product would not help sprintler11 since his ceiling is 72'.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Clearly the roof slope exceed 2:12 so the storage protection criteria is outside the scope of Chapter 12 and 14-20 regardless. See 12.1.2 of NPFA 13, 2010 and read they commentary in the handbook as to why this is. All the testing done that NFPA used to determine storage protection criteria was done under flat roofs. You are in to performance/FPE based territory with this one.

R M Arsenault Engineering Inc.

"Do not forget the Reliable ESFR product good for 43' storage height in a 48'high building" - FM ceiling height limit is 45'. I try to stay with their standards, when referencing ESFR, because they are the guys who developed the tech. NFPA 13 gets alot of their design criteria on ESFR from FM, but it normall lags a few years. Most of the big box contractors in my area, also design to FM for this reason, and they also realize if FM is not involved now, good chance they could be a few years down the road with tenant changes. Not saying NFPA/UL testing criteria is wrong, just my .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back