Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sprinklers in a "floating" ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

coarts

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2006
US
If you have a decorative "floating" ceiling below the main ceiling that is open around the edges, you need heads in the lower ceiling since it is more than 4 foot wide. However, when do you need to have heads above it also? If the lower ceiling is only say 12" below the main ceiling [all non-combustible] would you leave the heads out above it? Suppose it was 2 or 3 feet below, would the lower heads be sufficient or is it a possibility a fire above it would occur between the ceilings. If there was only 6" space it would be very impractical to install heads. Does the code address this? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

to many what if's

if over 4 feet with normal head and does not meet the egg crate provision, I require sprinklers above and below.

Your other what if's have to be a case by case depending on size of cloud, and how close to the deck.

would apply the four foot rule

if you have Chili's in your area a good example

If the ceiling is open around the edges, then you are not creating a non-combustable concealed space but a obstruction insted. Therefore the upper head may not be left out.

I typically draw the line when the deflector is <= 12" from the deck. If the floating ceiling is only 8" below the deck, then I typically just put heads in the lower ceiling provided it can cover all of the floor. If the lower ceiling causes the deflector to be 13" below the deck, then I go with heads above and below.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back