Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprinklers in staircases

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverStudent

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2010
US
Hi Everybody,

Is it required to provide sprinklers in staircases (it is 6 stories building, 2 hrs rated staircase enclosure, metal stairs). I am in New York City. I have seen similar projects done by others, some engineers make stairway enclosure sprinklered, some others do not.

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. See NFPA 13, 2010, section 8.15.3.2.1.

For combustible stairs see 8.15.3.1

Real world knowledge doesn't fall out of the sky on a parachute, but rather is gained in small increments during moments of panic or curiosity.

Be sure you specify the appropriate through-penetration fire stop assembyly for the fire protection piping penetrating the 2-hour fire barrier. The IBC requires the penterations be protected with a listed 90-minute assembly.

Hi Pipesnpumps,

Thank you for the answer. Just would like to mention, that in New York NFPA 13 - 2002 is the latest approved standard. Also, in this specific installation it is going to be combined sprinkler/standpipe system an combined risers will be in stairs enclosure.

I figured you'd have a standpipe because it is 4+ stories. That is usually a good clue.

I have a 2002 handbook on hand also. You will find similar language in 8.14.3 of the 2002 version.

Good luck with your project. Be sure and do preliminary hydraulic calcs, using recent hydrant flow test, and accounting for actual pipe lengths and fittings, etc. Don't just put out plans and specs without checking that.

I don't mean to imply you are not doing that. It is just that I spend a lot of my time dealing with engineers do not know these very basic things like if sprinklers are required in stairwells, and that usually means there is a general lack of knowledge in other areas as well. The consequences of getting it wrong are your company gets a black eye and has to pay a out of pocket or use errors and omissions insurance.. or the sprinkler contractor fixes the mistake.

Sorry if that offends. I really just want you and everyone to be able to do a good design.

Real world knowledge doesn't fall out of the sky on a parachute, but rather is gained in small increments during moments of panic or curiosity.

Hi Pipesnpumps,

Thank you for the response. Yes, you are absolutely right, it will be combined sprinkler/standpipe system. I am waiting for hydrant flow test results, because definitely there will be fire (booster) pump, (average static pressure in this area is around 56 psi). Definitely I will (and intended to) do hydraulic calculations etc. It does not offend me, if somebody more knowledgeable is generous enough to share his/her knowledge and experience. And I never hesitate to get back to basics at any chance, because I have seen a lot of situations, where really complex (and expensive) systems failed to perform efficiently, just because of the fact, that simple basic rules were violated from the beginning .
Thank you very much again for the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back