Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spSlab installed on virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshakelake

Structural
Jul 15, 2013
US
My objective is to install spSlab on a virtual machine so all employees can access it from their desks. I spoke to their licensing department and they said it's not allowed, but it is allowed to put a standalone license on one computer and have employees use that one computer. I'm wondering what's fundamentally different about these two approaches? The virtual machine approach just doesn't require people physically getting up and going to a new computer. I read their EULA and it doesn't specifically prohibit it. I'm thinking that they don't like it because it devalues their more expensive, annual network license - which they're right about, it's exactly my aim to avoid that (legally). Though I just wouldn't buy it in the first place if I had to get an annual subscription.

I know the right people to discuss this with would be the software company, but I want to be informed about others' experiences with licensing before I push forward.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@NotDeadYet I didn't know the VMs could be duplicated identically with the licensing. I always assign a unique ID so they don't theoretically confuse my network (especially having same IP and MAC). Anyway, I have no intention of flying the black flag of piracy (mainly ethical reasons, but I don't fancy a lawsuit either), so I'll steer clear of the VM route. And yeah, part of the reason I wanted to use a VM was for the durability. The physical computer would have to be replaced in a few years and migrating the license would be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back