Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Square Butt Weld 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtiuser2

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
CA
I must admit I haven't received any formal code based training in welding (just some general welding from school). I am creating a weld spec for joining two 5mm thick stainless steel (304L) sheet metal in corner configuration. I was searching the AWS D1.6 for the prequalified corner square butt weld. A number of them seems to fit well with my application. The only thing is I need to grind flat the exterior side of the weld for cosmetic reason. The code doesn't include any provision for such finish. Does it mean the weld cannot be grind in order to meet the code? The joint doesn't carried much load, but I still like to meet the code requirement.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the service and loads for your weld?
What size are the angles?
"sheetmetal" plates or "angle iron" members?

With the background described (lack of experience), and the nature of the question, are you sure you are properly applying a "generic structural welding specification" to this project?

The service load is low, estimated 50 lb max applies perpendicular to the weld axis. The weld length is about 40mm (all around the end cap plate). It is sort of like an end cap welded on to a square tube where the butt joint formed between the inner surface of the tube to the edge of the cap (the end cap is sized to fit inside the inner surface of the tube). It is a 90 degree corner joint. It is sheetmetal plate (5mm thick) as the end cap. The tube is formed by sheet metal (5mm). The load is applied perpendicular to the surface of end plate where shear stress will be developed in the weld.

You can grind the cap flush...no problem at all doing that. What is important is that the weld gets full penetration.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

If I grind flat (remove reinforcement)the weld, would that still conform to code as the code doesn't mentioned the reinforcement can be removed.

Have a read of 7.15, and 7.15.3 in particular.

In your case, thinner member doesn't apply, so the weld cannot be reduced by more than 1mm when grinding flush.

Goodness....

The first rule of code compliance is ensuring the proper or latest version of said code. The latest version of D1.6 is the 2017 edition. Stud welding is now Section 9. Here is the snippet I was referring to:

D1.6_vbpuvs.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back