Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Square to round transition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtobe

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
Hi,

I want to do a square to round transition in sheet metal and be able to unbend into a flat. I have done a model in the sheet metal module, but I can't seem to be able to create the bend, rip,etc. that will allow me to do the unbending after.

If someone can help me with this final step, it be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I am using Pro-E 2001.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will not be able to unbend it.

For a sheetmetal shape to flatten, the final or formed geometry must be flat to begin with (regular straight bends not included).

I used to do this for a sheetmetal fabricator of hoppers and funnels. The only solution was to make a blend, but the circle had to be broken in numerous sections, and attached to similar nodes on the previous section.

It's a long process, but works well. If you want, I will email you a model of what I did.

Steve

I have done exactly this. I created large section ( 1/4 of circle to corner of the square) but can't cut the edge and create the features that will allow me to do the unbend. and this is my problem rigth now.

on a second note, I thought that Pro-E could tell us what are the numerous bend required to be able to get that shape. I am probably expecting to much for Pro-E.

Thank you for your time.
Alain

There's the problem. The corner of the square will have all the sections converging there, so you end up with an infinitely small convergence of flat sections. Unable to enbend these.
What you should do is either make these segments offset to each other (usually a little more than the material thickness) or make the corner and then make a cut to remove the convergence.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back