Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SS 304 Grade low strength listing in ASME SEC IID

Umar107

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2016
US
What is the reason that the low strength listing of SS304 is not permitted for section III? & What if there are issues with excessive expansion? Does it mean that we must take the high strength values even for flanges in section III?
Please check line no. 13 and 14 for SA-240 304 in attached image.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=26a5a1b8-57cb-4598-a90f-e7b8bbd44e00&file=Screenshot_20240921_110833_Adobe_Acrobat.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

G5 refers to table Y-2 for section III applications. In Table Y-2, there are factors for limiting permanent strain. Does it mean that if I want to limit the strain to let's say 0.1 %, then I will use factor 0.9?
Does it mean that I can randomly select any permenant strain value without analysing the component?
I'm struggling to understand this, would you please elaborate a little.

This is the last part of note G5
"For Section III applications, Table Y–2 lists multiplying factors that, when applied to the yield strength values shown in Table Y–1, will give allowable stress values that will result in lower levels of permanent strain."

Now question is which multiplying factor is to be used? There is a full list in table y-2.

Op,
Ok. You are going in circle. Your question was why 304 SS is not permitted in Sec III. The answer is excessive expansion of SS. You had the answer.
In addition to going to Sec II Part D, your first place should be to check allowable materials in Sec III. Sec II is a global list. Every code section will have its own allowed material list. Example: all materials that is allowed by Sec VIII Div 1 is not allowed by Div 2.

GDD
Canada

Umar10, it appears to me that the designer selects the appropriate level of strain for the given design, the factor can then be applied.

Perhaps there is some guidance in II-D or Sec III, I don't know.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan, This is what I am searching. Can't find any guidelines about it in the code.
Thanks for your input. At least you understood the question.

Back