Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SS tool for usage in salt water environment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy4u

Mechanical
May 6, 2021
IL
Hi, I have designed and produced (outsourcing)a tool for diving.
Till now we have made it from lost wax molded SS17400PH hardened to HRC42.
A new manufacturer suggested me to use MIM and S420 2.0 with a hardness of HRC46-54.
There is a flat driver on this tool that is bending when using lots of force and is the weakest point of the tool.
I have thickened it and widened it for the next tool design.
What are your thoughts? Suggestions, anything I should beware of or think of? etc...

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the photo showing the intended use of the flat blade, you could make most of the section of the tool thicker, with only the blade end thin enough to enter the slot. I'd make the shaft of the tool a circular cross section as wide as possible. If the flat blade end is bending, consider changing the design to a 5/16" hex socket.

Serjo_with_TaranTool_2.0_in_Wetnotes_enwdy3.jpg

btrueblood
5/16" makes the tool too wide :) I have to keep it as small as possible. Pict. show how an example how it is stored during the dive.
That's why I even trimed the 8mm allen Key :)
But I did a test to one of my tools and trimed of 2 mm to get to the thicker section 1.6mm compared to the thinnest edge of 1.2 and it is so much stronger now. I think making the Flat 1.6mm * 6mm wide instead of 1.2 * 4.6 as it is now, with the same material will do the job. For the purpose of the original 1.2mm purpose (intended usage), I have another idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back