Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SSD for CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

burhop

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2008
US
Is anyone trying out and of the new SSD technologies with Solid Edge or Femap/Nastran?

I'm hearing some good stories on much faster load times and faster solve times.

Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solid State Drive. Much faster to read/write/search. I do cad @ home off a flash drive... but I'm betting that's not quite the same as the new internal SSD setups.

From what I've read in some other forums where these devices have been discussed, perhaps the best utilization would be to put all of the files which tend to be only and not written to all that often, such as the executable programs and files, including standard library parts, which are referenced by other files (such as standard fasteners in an Assembly) but which are not often written to. Granted, this would not necessarily speed-up the opening of large assemblies (except for the standard library parts), but the primary program would certainly start quicker and run faster as modules are opened and swapped in as different applications are launched or utilities are accessed.

Note that I have no direct experience with SSD's, yet, but I have been following this topic on the net and have been trying to keep my ears open for real-world feedback and user experiences, which are still rather limited in number.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back