Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

st moved from xp to new win 7 system, no improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgriesel

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2011
US
I recently purchased a new system and installed my copy of ST. Moved "up" from an xp pro system to win7-64, doubling my RAM and video mem and see no improvement. I did get ST to install and it runs the same as it did on the older system. I updated all drivers.

Gateway DX4320
Win7-64bit
NVIDIA GeForce 315
6gig RAM

Anyone have an idea?
Is this a 32bit app under 64bit OS issue? Hard to fathem not improvement at all...ok, it opens faster

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really, very sluggish responses orbiting and zooming once an assembly grew to more than a few parts. Items disappear and the display is jumpy. Blows my mind that i see no improvement in those reactions.

btw, I also use a 3Dconnexion

I would consider a better graphics card. The NVIDA GeForce is generally sold as a 'gaming card' and while the price is right, it's not really designed for CAD applications. I would opt for an equivalent NVIDA Quadro FX card, perhaps an FX 1800 or even a FX 3800.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Change the graphics card as John suggests, and make sure you have the 64-bit version of SE loaded.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thank you both, that is what kinda what I was thinking. They did me a favor by buying a new system, too bad a new video will run from half to full cost of the system itself.

As to the 64bit version, I currently have ST which did not come in 64, we do have ST2 laying around but not everyone here is ready to upgrade to it. Are files saved in ST2 able to be opened in ST?

You will not be able to open files saved in ST2 with ST. On another note, ST is not meant to be run on Windows 7 and there are issues, including graphics issues. ST2 with MP 1 or 2 is needed to operate on Windows 7 correctly (and a supported graphics card).

Ken G.

I wish to thank you all for you assistance and expertise.

I am "told" we will finally upgrade to ST2 we got last year by the end of this month. I will wait and see how running the 64bit under win7-64 helps with my situation and from there determine which video card I may need.

No chance of upgrading to ST3? Its getting A TON of positive press because of the integration of synch and history and greatly improved and customizable UI.

Mark

There has been talk of ST3, our subscription ran out but we have new jobs coming that will require an additional seat so we may have no choice but to upgrade.

Make sure to try using the hardware driven graphics rather than software in the options to see if that improves your performance in either version. 64 bit will only show improvement if you are running assemblies with large part counts.

I found poor performace in V20 on my new win7 system. I found solid edge was using a backingstore rather than the 3D rendering capability of my graphics card.

I went to Tools -> options -> Veiw (tab) then unchecked Automatic Selection under Application display, and changed the setting to Graphics card driven.

Side note, probably would have helped to have known that even before the new system. Been using SE for 6mnths now as installed right out of the box, came from 20+yrs of AutoCAD, so I haven't quite got a handle on all these tips and tricks.
But one thing for sure is I will be reading over these forums every chance i get to learn.

Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back