Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

St. Petersburg (FL) Crane Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the orange safety shirt (running to the lower-right of the scene) definitely has soiled britches. He misses getting hit by the lifted load, then just misses getting hit by the headache-ball, and then narrowly misses getting ht by the jib. Off to Vegas for him!

Jeez. I was going to ask my partner about it, but this is a different St. Petersburg. So confusing, heh.

So the load was too heavy and/or the lift angle too flat I presume.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

BP: I try to always remember eng-tips is international, and I wouldn't want to get in bad graces with Mr. Putin by insinuating this happened in Leningrad. Those folks don't fair so well.

Yeah... I typically stay out of the forensic "CSI" that others enjoy so much (see FIU)... but this looks a lot like the crane was booming down and got outside the chart radius.

Less obvious causes could be an improperly prepared working surface or improper assembly of the crane.

----
The name is a long story -- just call me Lo.

All I can say is, what load?

I see something hanging from the main boom, but not the extension.

I also see no outriggers on the crane.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

This load:
Crane_load_grtxub.jpg

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

The first guys next to the crane start running before anyone else. They either heard the warning hooters or a yell from the operator.

Does look like the jib lowers a lot more than the crane moves to start with so maybe a failed brake or control gear but then the wire can't keep pace with the jib fall and over it goes.

Looks more like it was set up to lift stuff for the units which are at foundation level and used out of reach.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Looks to me like nothing happened other than overturning the crane- no brake failure, no jib failure. And in that case, just a matter of getting the load too far out. Possibly coupled with wind.

Why does no one ever take good photos? LI... just missed you... and, some photos, but not the ones that I would have taken.

Dik

...the pics aren't bad. One shows the lift number which after quick google search, returned 4635 LBS weight so quite a bit more than 1000 lbs quoted in the article.

Maybe 1000 lbs is what they said to the crane operator....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It seems to pivot over the front right corner. Other videos of those collapsing like the NYC crane show it pivoting straight over the nose. Were the tracks turned in the wrong direction or did the ground give at the right front? Maybe wind did upset it blowing the boom off to the right.

The guy that almost got hit 3 times didn't quite have that run perpendicular to the falling boom thing figured out.

I can't see a model number on the crane, but the charts are available.
Maybe this one?
Then of course we need the boom and jib length, and a guess at angles.

Just by eye based on the white trailer in the foreground that looks like a standard 51 footer, I guess 160 foot boom and 50 or 60 foot jib.

Maybe was within limits. But there was a pretty stiff wind - look at the flag on top of the police building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back