Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ST4 issues with drafting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinbir

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2012
GB
Im working in a company that have 50 years of old drawing from tracing to autocad 2D and now solidedge. Most parts/components mainly still uses 2D draft for submissions.

I have been using SolidWork prior to my current company. Recently, Im using Solidedge ST4. In 3D designing its worked out quick and well. However, When I create 2D drawing from the 3D part and I starts to feel the pain of it. I truly appreciate any help can be given.

Here are my issues with drafting:
1.in draft, I cant find datum/dowel/ream symbol to place on hole.

2.in draft, multiple quantity hole call out does not work? I need to count one by one. (i saw on this forum you need to use variable for that?)

3.in draft, through hole did not have any words when call out (only finite extend shows its depth) therefore need to type 'thru hole'

4.dimension in draft does not snap, need to use 'line up text' to align one by one

5.in draft, need to press 'update view' each time after i edit the 3D and the bounding box showed. Any automated update?

I tried to search but still have no clue about it, it would be great if anyone can help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1.in draft, I cant find datum/dowel/ream symbol to place on hole.
Isn't it under "Home" tab, annotation, top middle? That's the Datum frame, if that's what you mean.

2.in draft, multiple quantity hole call out does not work? I need to count one by one. (i saw on this forum you need to use variable for that?)
I think there's a macro you can download somewhere, but the site has changed and I can't find it anymore... It was on this website:
3.in draft, through hole did not have any words when call out (only finite extend shows its depth) therefore need to type 'thru hole'
As far as I know this is true.

4.dimension in draft does not snap, need to use 'line up text' to align one by one
Try using "distance between" (the red one) rather than "smart dimension" (the yellow one), after you place the first dimension, click on the next point you want to dimension and the dim will be placed in line, or above from the same origin. I almost never use "smart dimension"

5.in draft, need to press 'update view' each time after i edit the 3D and the bounding box showed. Any automated update?
Heck no!

Thanks the help for clarify #3,5 and the solution for #4 (it works).

For #2, I just cant find it like you stated. Hopefully solutions can be found.

For #1, I know what you mean with the datum feature for Geometric Tolerance(GDT) but what Im looking for is the dowel/reamer symbol that place on holes (see attach), usually for tolerance hole for reamer processes.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f3ee6d85-0a85-4fe1-bf1c-6ad045057a88&file=dowel_pin_symbol.GIF
Looks like a center of mass symbol. We have one of those outside the borders of the draft, simply drawn as a sketch. I'll then copy it and paste it in "draw in view" and then snap it to the center of mass.

The dowel/ream symbol is similar to center of mass symbol. We use this for machining and fabrication processes, usually its for interference fit of dowel pin to reamed hole during assemblies. This is use with the ISO 'Fits for basic hole system' tolerance f7 or H8 hole.

Well, compare to other cad package, it seems that SE needs me to work harder on 2D draft. Thank you all for the answer.

Solid Edge tends to follow industry standards in what symbols are available etc. (with some exceptions, especially if enough users ask for them) that's why I asked about your symbol. Typically when I was in the UK we didn't indicate processes on drawings, similar to in the US, and I don't remember that symbol being in any of the standards I used. Since SE tends to follow the drawing standards it may be the symbol isn't in there. There are ways to make it yourself such that you reuse it, but I won't claim to recall the details.

If you can't get your answer on here robin maybe you could contact your VAR or GTAC or whichever is applicable.

From my limited exposure to Solid Works I don't really find SE more time consuming. I will say the drawings - with a little effort- tend to look better in SE than most other CAD packages I've seen.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

1) - Create a block for your symbol in your draft template, then it will always be available in your drawings.
As for having to work harder, it just depends what you are used to.
They all work slightly differently.
I've been using Inventor for the last 4 months and I find the drawing a real struggle.
Parts will disappear from the drawing (along with their dimensions without warning)if you turn off their visibility in the model.
You can only stop this by creating a View Representation in the model and ensuring the drawing uses that.

3) - Set up the hole callouts correctly to give what you want.
Do that in the template file and you will always get the correct format (for new drawings).

4) - Have you tried using the grid functions?

5) - Automatic updates can be a pain so I'm not sorry the option isn't there.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Hello! This is a nice thread here being I am a new user to Solid Edge too. Robin had some of the exact same questions that I have. It's nice to know there is a place to go for Solid Edge help.

beachcomber said:
I've been using Inventor for the last 4 months and I find the drawing a real struggle.
Parts will disappear from the drawing (along with their dimensions without warning)if you turn off their visibility in the model.

I've used Inventor for over 9 years and there is a way to set up your drawing views so they don't reflect what components you have turned on or off in your assembly. When you create your initial drawing view you uncheck the check box with the chain icon. I don't have Inventor in front of me so I'm not sure what the box is actually called. After that go ahead and create your views. Now if you hide components in your assembly they will not disappear in your drawing view. If you need to hide a component in a drawing view, you find that component in the browser tree for that view, right click on the part, then select hide.

If you already created views without unchecking the check box, you just need to double click the view and uncheck the box.

Hopefully that helps!

And thank you to everyone's response to robinbir's questions! To bad there is now automated update drawing view feature. I am sure missing that. Solid Edge is nice, but I feel like I'm have to make 2-3 times more clicks to do what I used to in Inventor. Oh well, I'm sure it will get quicker with time!

"Solid Edge is nice, but I feel like I'm have to make 2-3 times more clicks to do what I used to in Inventor. Oh well, I'm sure it will get quicker with time!"

I feel your pain. It doesn't get quicker.... I've been experimenting some with Synchronous and that seems to speed things up a little, but most of the time your wading through a thick sludge with an elastic tied around your waist.

there are some things that are just better done in order mode than synchronous. holes are one of those areas that i believe work better in order. try it i think you will like it better.

kwikool
there are some things that are just better done in order mode than synchronous. holes are one of those areas that i believe work better in order]

And rounds that consume related faces You better model it while in order mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back