Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Staad V8i - Multiple Support Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrclar

Petroleum
Jul 4, 2013
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know if Staad can cope with multiple support conditions within the same model. We do a lot of work on large steel welded modular structures which have 3 or four support conditions throughout their fabrication, sea transportation, lift condition and final in-place foundation arrangement.

Historically, we have created one model and then used "save as" to create parallel models with different support arrangements. The problem is, you end up with 3 or four files and as you run each analysis and have to update members, you have to copy them backwards and forwards to the other parallel models. This is also a pain if you need to alter geometry or insert or remove members. Keeping track of it all and keeping the models consistent is almost a job in itself.

I was wondering if there's any way to model all of these support conditions and code checks within one model so changes to member sizes and inserting/deleting members is done once only.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers,

Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe this is possible. You could just change the supports in the same model as you need too and after your design is complete and final, copy the model with each support type.

Anyway is time consuming.

Good luck.

You could do it by hand in the input file by running an analysis, redefining the support conditions, and then running new ones, but you wouldn't be able to see them all in the graphical interface at the end. You'd have to use the text output. Also, if you modified it later in the graphical interface weird things would likely happen. It's likely not a practical solution for what you're trying to do.

Would it be possible to place short "columns" at all of your possible support points and then selectively make the appropriate "columns" inactive for each analysis? You can have dozens of analyses in a single STAAD input file.

I have done something similar to this with a building to simulate the effect on a structure if a column section was removed by a bomb.

In section 5.38 Change Specification (latest version of STAAD, but this has been there for many, many years) it states, "allows the re-specification of the supports with another SUPPORT command that causes the old supports to be ignored". You need to read up on this for details. It's very goofy how they implement this because of the rule you have to follow. The supports must be specified in the same order before and after the CHANGE command.

I feel your pain. We have the same situation but we also may have more or less parts attached depending on if it's an operating, lifting, or shipping condition. The orientation can also change during shipping and lifting. If anybody ever wrote a program that would truly handle all these variations within one model it would be a boon to mankind. Right now I'm working on a project that has 4 STAAD models for one piece of equipment, operating, shipping, horizontal lift, 45 deg lift, and vertical lift. It's a pain in the . . . well, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back