Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Staad.X - Ready for main-stream use, or still an alpha / beta release? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhardy1

Structural
Jan 26, 2004
AU
So I see Staad.X Select Series 2 is now available for download, and it's not being labelled as a beta release:

I will be downloading it and comparing against Staad.Pro. I am aware that, being new software, there are still a few features not yet implemented, but I also see that the UI looks a whole lot modern and "friendlier" than Staad.Pro, and a lot of features look very promising.

Questions for any users (especially those with Staad.Pro experience):

1. Have you tried Staad.X yet, and is it ready to be used as a primary analysis and design tool? (Or is it still really a beta application in your opinion?)

2. What are the top "missing features" (compared especially with Staad.Pro) that I should be looking for in testing whether it is ready for serious consideration in my working environment?

3. What are the best new features (not found in Staad.Pro) that make it worthy of consideration?

Any and all comments greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks SethGuthrie - that's the same link as I posted!

I am hoping for some feedback from people who have actually used the Staad.X software - either as Beta testers, or regular customers. (I am more interested in what's missing or non-functional - and you rarely find that sort of information in promotional press releases!)

Hopefully, I will be getting a copy installed shortly - I'll report back here with my own observations.

1. Yes I've tried it. As a matter of fact I've tried several incarnations of it. No, it is not ready to be used as your primary tool.

2. I don't have a lot of time right now but a major thing is it can't use the direct analysis method (DAM) which means its not worth a DAM. Let's see what else? You can't use OpenSTAAD with it, doesn't have the SQL query tool, doesn't have RAM Connection built in, can't do nonlinear analysis, can't do buckling analysis.

3. I'm so disenchanted with it it's hard for me to see the silver lining. I suppose the physical members should be quite nice. This is one area where they should not emulate STAAD.Pro. Physical members are a joke in STAAD.Pro.

By the by, lest you think this is a new program they first announced it in late 2008. It's progress has been slow and painful. I've posted similar questions as yours both here and other forums and there seems to be almost no interest. I think trying to replace STAAD.Pro with STAAD(X) may be up there with the New Coke debacle of the 80's.

Thanks, dozer - that's EXACTLY the sort of end-user feedback I was looking for - a star for you!

I'll do my own testing (when I can get out IT Dudes to install it for me), and I will look out for these (non-)features as a priority. I'll report back here with my on observations.

See what I mean? It's been over a week since you first posted and you got a response from me and a guy from Bentley and that's it! Granted, I don't think this is a very heavily visited forum but come on, two people when STAAD is one of the most widely used structural analysis programs in the world? It's just plain weird how little anyone seems to care (or know) about this product.

Hello everyone,
I appreciate the comments and your interest in STAAD(X). Counter to perception, these comments are considered seriously at Bentley and have been the subject of much debate.

As we make a generational shift in product [lines], the temptation is to wait until everything is 100% complete and then launch. In this case we chose to do a technology preview to try solicit input and advice, not just on what’s missing relative to the current STAAD(X) (hopefully we know these things), but to engage our current and possible users to get your feedback on everything from functionality, ease of use, reporting, UI, interoperability, etc. Hopefully you can look at these versions (that, granted, they should be coined technology previews as opposed to betas) and give us your feedback and input.

We are working towards a Fall major update release for STAAD(X) and we welcome all comments towards the goal of producing something truly exceptional.

Feel free to contact me privately for any questions/comments/suggestions you might have about the new STAAD(X). Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back