Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stability of PDMWorks Workgroup vs Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

istimewa

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2001
US
We're considering implementing either PDMWorks Workgroup or Enterprise.

I realize that Enterprise has far more capabilities than Workgroup and, frankly, most of the additional capabilities are not really that useful to us since we're a small company. However, as a Solidworks user, I am concerned about stability or the lack thereof. One of our major objectives in implementing PDM would be to get more stability and speed from large assembly files because PDM would allow us to work from local drives, but I don't want to add an unstable package to an already unstable package.

Does anyone care to comment on the relative stability of Workgroup versus Enterprise?

Thanks
Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't speak fo Enterprise, but Workgroups has been stable since we added the RAM to the server. It's a little rough if you go with the minimum or bare recommended RAM values. Haven't seen a crash since we did that that was related to PDM. We currently have six users on it plus about 6-12 people using the web viewer, generally at anywhere from 1 to 4 or 5 at a time.

Joe Hasik, CSWP
SW 08 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

We have 20 SolidWorks users using PDMWorkgroups. We have 14 users using the PDM Explorer. We restart the PDM service every night automatically (that rebuilds the database). The server is used only for the Vault; the rest of the company cannot see it or use it. We have a PDM administrator that looks into every issue. The only things we see now are lost user passwords, users owning drawings while on vacation. Easy things to fix. We never have any PDMWorkgroups problems anymore.

I would say go with PDMWorkgroups, cost is less and training is less, and installation is easy.

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP3.0
PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400
e-mail is Lotus Notes

We have used Workgroup for a few years. It is extremely stable. All the information is store in text files with the individual parts and assemblies. The information is stored in ram for fast access, therefore there is no database to maintain or to go screwy. On the rare occasions there is a problem, turn on vault validation and restart the vault and it will rebuild itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back