Stainless steel and carbon steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syahar1975

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2011
ID
Good morning Gents,

Is there any code that we can refer to which states "stainless steel material shall not be in direct contact with carbon steel"

Your response is highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your application? Without more info it is impossible to make any kind of rational response. There are plenty of situations where stainless steel is used in direct contact with carbon steel. I even have products where I weld them together.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Good evening Dgallup,

Welding SS plate to CS plate for grounding lug is usual for the tank.

I have a tank with carbon steel flange inside the tank.

This nozzle will be connected to another flange and pipe which both are SS.

The bolt and nuts is SS. Between CS flange and SS flange I have graphite gasket.

The product is water but also there is small percentage of oil.

The stainless steel bolt will contact directly to CS flange. Is there any problem ?

Oh, it sounded in your initial post that you were looking for a standard to cite with the intention of not allowing the two to come in contact.

Given the information in your second post, no there is not one specific rule that states you can't have CS and SS in contact. I've seen plenty of SS valves flanged up into CS systems. Just know that your CS is going to show the effects of the corrosion faster.

E. Morel
M.E.

You are right Emorel.

In the tank temperature indicator is SS flange type and connected to CS nozzle with CS bolts and nuts. But someone mention to me we will need insulation kits for these bolts and nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back